Thursday, April 28, 2011

The First Post RBI (0) Welcome

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my blog RBI Collecting, where I'll be posting my collection of baseball cards as I build sets, cards I get autographed (in person/TTM), and other items of baseball awesomeness. At the end of every autograph post I'll be putting up how I obtained the signing, but be aware I won't be posting personal addresses. There will also be a Weekly Rundown mainly following the Angels and/or Red Sox with relevant fantasy comments just for my own personal pleasure.

I first was pulled into the hobby when I saw that Topps was going have it's diamond anniversary this year and began with a booster box of Topps Series 1 2011 cards, and a booster of 2010 Bowman Platinum Chromes. My first pack was a Bowman that forever got me addicted, but more on that later. For now I'm concentrating on getting an array of autographs TTM (through the mail) of current/past players as I work on completing the 2011 Topps set.

So without further ado, I'll go ahead and add a quick post that I won't count as RBI (1) seeing as it's on my personal jersey I wear to Angels games and is likely to be faded, weathered, and characterful fairly soon.

The first autograph would be none other than Angels Alumni pitcher Clyde Wright.

A 1970 All-Star who threw a no-hitter for the Angels on July 3, 1970, Clyde was nice enough to stop for a moment when I saw him observing a line of Angel fans waiting for another Angels alum's autograph (I'll explain that more in the next few posts). Feeling through my pockets for a spare blank card or non-wrinkled ticket, I felt a moment of panic when I realized I had nothing. I quickly realized that I had more than enough clean space on something meaningful when I looked down at myself and saw my jersey. Mr. Wright was nice enough to put down his Pepsi and sign his clear and legible autograph on my jersey. I'll have a longer post about Clyde at a later point when I post my autographed ball (spoiled I know), but cheers to Clyde for giving me my first signature on my jersey.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome first post. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Ryan! Put it out there to the world what you collect and why. Others will listen and help. What makes this hobby so much fun is that "memorabilia" is based on "memory." You'll remember the joy of the hunt in whatever you collect. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice welcome comment Tom!

    ReplyDelete