Saturday, December 21, 2013

Big League Moment Grant Green Interview

While at the Brandon Barnes Wiffleball event I used some time to interview Angels' infielder Grant Green. Grant was extremely personable and a pleasure to do an extended interview with, that gave a great glimpse into his time so far as a Major Leaguer.

First question. How did you find out you were being called up the majors?
I was actually in AAA Fresno. My manager was the same high school I went to, I start to get dressed for the game, he was like "Hey grant don't get dressed yet." so I'm just sitting in the visiting clubhouse wondering what's going on. I go into his office and go so whats the deal, " He tells me you're getting called up you're getting on a plane tonight you're going to Pittsburgh." And I'm like are you kidding? He says he'd never joke about something like that."

When you first get to the clubhouse what did the As have waiting for you?
"I mean they have the jerseys and everything. It's nothing special just jerseys. But the coaches are there waiting congratulate you, say hi and what not. To me thats one of the coolest things when you get that first call up how excited everyone is for you. Everyone goes through it, everyones been there before, they're all just so happy."

I know some teams break it up. Did the club house manager give you a number?
"It was my number in spring training so they just kept it over for the season."

So you were traded to the Angels, how did you find out?
"I start to get on the field for a game. Same thing manager says "hey we can't let you play today you're taking the day off." I knew Sogard had been hurt a couple days before so he says hey you're just in a holding pattern right now. We're just going to see what the deal is. So I went up and was lifting in our clubhouse and a couple of pitchers come in and ask what the deal is. I tell them I don't know  yet. Finally one of them says congratulations. For what? You just got traded. I was like…bull…I would have heard something. And he says no it's on twitter. I ended up finding out a little after that when the GM's called."

The stories about Billy Beane...are they true? Is there an organizational idea, hey this is what people think about our organization? Or is it more baseball and less numbers than everyone tries to make it out to?
"There's definitely less numbers. He's not going to reward you for walking 500 times. It's the type of thing where a lot of teams are just starting to looking into now its On Base Percentage. He's really big on that and not to the extent that most people think but he's still into OBP and playing the game the right way. Although its not as bad as everyone says it is, it's still present in the organization."

Did anyone take you in and show you how to be a big leaguer?
"With Oakland I knew a lot of the guys already from Spring Training every year. I knew Trumbo from being around here, Conger's from around here. Kole Calhoun from playing against him. All the guys have been there before so no one treats you any differently. There is a bit of rookie hazing but its all in good fun. everyone was nice and forward with any information I needed."

What was your rookie hazing?
"We wore Speedos with the Angels, but I wasn't there for it with the A's. Usually its in September with the September call ups but I wasn't around for it."

What's your favorite park as a player?
"New Yankee stadium is always nice. But still my favorite the one I had the most fun in, maybe because it was my call up is Pittsburgh. I had a blast. I thought the ballpark was gorgeous, such a beautiful ballpark the city we stayed in was really nice. All around great."

What are your goals as a team or individually?
"As a team it's to win games make the playoffs and hopefully heat up at the right time and win a World Series. Personally same as every year. Get better be more consistent. Wherever the chips fall theres nothing you can control besides working hard and trying to do your best."

1 comment:

  1. Very cool interview. Would not mind seeing more of these...especially if you ask about autographs!

    ReplyDelete