Wednesday, February 20, 2013

UFC 157 Open Workouts

For the past few years I've been developing into a bigger fan of the UFC. Growing up my family always was sure to get big ticket boxing matches on pay-per-view, but when I left for college I was no longer able to go to the family get togethers and watch. The next best thing was watching UFC fights for free on Spike with my college roommates, and my roommates sister's boyfriend was a UFC fan also who would order the fights when it was a title fight.

UFC 157 is in Anaheim and I immediately splurged the day tickets went up for sale on what I hope to be a good seat. The open workouts were held today and I made the trip out hoping to get some autographs of the fighters on the main card. Of the 6 fighters who came, I was able to get 3 to sign an autograph for me.

The first autograph I got was fighter Ivan Menjivar. Ivan's a fun fighter to watch and crazily is a security guard at an airport. I know I'll definitely feel more safe when flying now that I know a professional MMA fighter is checking ID's.
The next to sign for me was the legendary Dan Henderson who was nice enough to sign for most of the crowd and personalized all his autographs. Hendo is a serious name in the MMA world so I was shocked to see the rumors were true about how great a signer he is. This Dan Henderson autographed photo is definitely one of my favorites.
Finally I was able to get fan favorite Urijah Faber to autograph this 8x10 photo and he inscribed his nickname "Calif(ornia) Kid" on the photo. I'm definitely glad to have scored the former WEC champion and perennial fan favorite.
And because I can, here's a photo of the insanely awesome Ronda Rousey training photo I took. Rousey is fighting in the first women's UFC fight ever at UFC 157 to defend her title and I'm really excited to see her step in the octagon. After seeing her power and speed at the workout, I'm fairly certain she could fight here way to a title shot if she went against the men in the UFC. I was disappointed I couldn't get a Ronda Rousey autograph but I did eventually get one.
This was my first time trying to graph UFC since the fights are held all over the world and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I like that all the fighters signed even if not all of them signed very much, but they seemed for the most part willing to put their signature out there for their fans. Now that I have a better idea of what it's like graphing UFC I think I'll be better prepared next time and hopefully get a few more fighters and autographs. This was the first part of my UFC graphing experience and I'm glad I graphed the workouts, an Arianny Celeste and Brittney Palmer appearance, UFC fanfest and the fight itself. I want to throw a quick shout out to Steven from Zim's autographs who I hung out with at the event.

1 comment:

  1. I think the silver looks great on those, especially that Ivan. I didn't ask you, were they glossy?

    ReplyDelete