Sunday, September 2, 2012

RBI (105) A Piece of Baseball History...

As many of you know I'm a pretty big Red Sox fan, and this year the Sox were only coming to town for one series. I had already gone to Fenway to join in celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Fenway park and decided to continue noting the historic season while they were in Anaheim.

To recognize the 100th year of the stadium I wanted to graph something more substantial than just a few ball or cards. I ended up purchasing an authentic seat back from Fenway park, certified by the MLB as having been Game Used. This is my 2nd baseball seat, which some would say is overkill but I like them. I opted for a red seat back and selected seat #6 also in honor of Johnny Pesky passing away this year.
The first person to sign my seat was manager Bobby Valentine. Plenty of fans booed at me having Bobby V sign the seat and I'll admit I was hesitant at first when I was driving to the stadium coming up with the list of who would be seat worthy. In the end when this era of Sox baseball and the end of the curse is brought up the discussion will always end with "...and then Bobby V..." he's going to be an infamous name in the annuals of Sox historians and thus worthy of the seat. I will add my own complaint about Bobby V. since I took a silver marker for him to sign with but he wouldn't switch from blue sharpie and thus dictated how the rest of the seat needs to be signed. I mean maybe you don't want to switch sharpies between jersey's or cards...but it's a seat. Really Bobby V?
While he may not always be popular with the team I had author and Boston Globe writer Dan Shaughnessy sign my seat also. This was another person I had a quick moment of debate over but seeing as he's written multiple noteworthy books on the Sox and has covered the Sox as long as I can remember I opted to include him as a related personality.

The next person to sign the seat was Umpire Crew Chief and head of the Umpire's Union Joe West. West is not only a notable personality in the game but also involved in Sox history when he work Clay Buchholz's no-hitter from home plate and ended it with a called 3rd strike.
The final person to sign the seat for me was my favorite Red Sox player 2nd baseman Dustin Pedroia. Pedroia was a big score for me and work kept me from doing any pre-game graphing so when I heard he had signed for 2 people on his way in I was crushed. Luckily I was able to get his attention inside the stadium and he signed for me. I was really excited to get the AL ROY/MVP/Gold Glover/Silver Slugger and it's definitely a highlight on this piece. I'm not sure how many people can say they have a Dustin Pedroia autographed Fenway Park seat, but I'm one of the few that can.
This likely be a lifetime piece that I will work on and it'll be interesting to see how this ends up one day when I'm old and have it on a shelf somewhere while I watch a game in retirement.

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome project. Good luck! I think ESPN is doing one more Sunday night game at Dodger Stadium. If they do, you should try to get Tito Francona on there as well.

    ReplyDelete