Friday, March 30, 2012

RBI (73) A graded slugger's hit...

This week I've gotten 0 replies in the mail and to be honest with the start of the season coming around it's kind of bummed me out. Lucky for me I needed to pick up a few things and strolled through the card aisle of a chain store that will remain secret seeing as all my awesome retail hits are from there and I'm going to protect my spot like a fisherman hiding his favorite fishing hole.

I picked up a blaster of Gems of the Game and cracked it open when I got home. What could be inside this box filled with repackaged packs? Well just an interesting little gem that goes along with the Hank Aaron relic I opened up the day before. This Barry Bonds 1988 Score and Game Used Jersey graded 10.
Oh Barry. I'm not sure how I feel about you. As a Southern California native and him quite literally being a home town guy I suppose I support him being one of the top sluggers of the game. But there's the asterisk. Once again, literally the asterisk that goes along with his name in the record books, in Cooperstown...and the court documents.

I'm not sure how the Baseball Writers Association of America will respond to his first year of eligibility in the 2013 vote. On one hand he is a 14-time All-Star with 7 NL MVP's earned by 756 home runs. On the other...yeah. There are relics from his career in Cooperstown, but I'm not really sure if this has a permanent place in my collection. Offers will be listened to if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

  1. I was on the Barroid bandwagon, even as he was playing against the Angels in the 2002 World Series.

    Didn't mean I wanted to see his team win, but his at-bats became an event - regardless if you were booing him or not.

    ReplyDelete